Background: Pixar's first logo (which was based off the design of their image computers) was a light grey square frame with an embedded circle in the center (nicknamed "the BSD" (Beveled Square with a Dent), which was a play on the Berkeley Software Distribution version of Unix that Pixar used) and a wordmark placed below that read "P·I·X·A·R" created by John Lasseter with a stone cutter using a typeface based off of Stevens Titling. For the first short film the logo had afanfare to accompany it. The square started to fade away in later years of the logo's existence, leaving just the wordmark. This logo made it's debut in Luxo Jr. and on their image computers.
(November 22, 1995- ) Edit
Nicknames: "CGI Luxo Jr. the Lamp", "'90s Lamp"
Logo: On a light blue background, we see the text:
P I X A R
Then a lamp hops by. He stops once he notices the "I". He shakes his body and bounces on the "I" until his jumps squish it. He looks around as the text "ANIMATION STUDIOS" fades in. He then faces the camera. The light slowly dims until it's completely dark. Luxo Jr. is still on though, but he turns off, making the screen completely dark.
- In 2006, Pixar celebrated its 20th anniversary. It is the closing variant, but with "CELEBRATING" above, "2" next to the Luxo Jr. and "YEARS" on the other side.
- In 2011, Pixar celebrated its 25th anniversary. After the logo finishes, we see "CELEBRATING 25 YEARS" on a black background.
- At the beginning of films, starting with A Bug's Life, the logo fades out early before the light dims.
FX/SFX: Very nice CGI!!!
- Opening: In order: the metallic sound of the lamp hopping, some whizzing sounds when the lamp shakes its body, squeaky rubber-like sounds when it jumps on the "I", and some other sounds as it looks around.
- Closing: Same as above, but with a "click" sound at the end.
- Other times, the opening theme would play over it.
Availability: Current and very common. The standard variant is preserved on most releases since 1995, such as the end of Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Brave, Monsters University, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Coco and Incredibles 2. The 20th anniversary variant is preserved only on Cars. The 25th anniversary variant is preserved only on Cars 2.
Scare Factor: None.